September 28, 2004

Hitting the Ground Falling Over

Whooooo boy, the avalanche of preparation of teaching materials has hit. It is days like these that you get to experience the rich variety of metaphors (old cliches and older) that sum up this situation, by trading with colleagues: "I'm submerged.", "I'm drowning.", "I'm absolutely up to my eye-balls.", "I'm searching for a rescue dinghy.".

Today's winner is Jeremy, with "I'm trying to have my nervous breakdown but I'm having great difficulty finding the time."

Worked 57.5 hours last week (that's 164% compared to so-called normal working hours), and 61.5 (175%) the week before. There must be a life-raft around here somewhere.

2 Comments:

At 2:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I am so relieved to read that another academic is not waving but drowning at this 'special' time of year......

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Lossy said...

Waving? Wouldn't that be like for a rescue boat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home