October 12, 2007

First Week Roulette Again

This time, first week roulette was a bit more diffuse, spreading from the first week into the second too. And once more the guarantee was true:

"...it's not going to be any of the things that happened to you before and that you carefully dodged this time. Oh no. It'll be a new one."

It wasn't too bad overall, but a collection of little problems added up. It was difficult enough trying to get appropriate rooms booked at a suitable time (that's a whole other post in itself), but then our local administrator had gone and printed the wrong information in the handbook as to which lecture theatre and laboratories are being used (not her fault, it was a consequence of the room booking delay).

So, to counteract, I ensured the students were emailed the right locations, I went around placing notices on the doors of the wrong rooms to redirect students to the right rooms, and then..... I still got some students turning up late and complaining at me (I hate it when people complain at me for things which aren't my fault), because they either hadn't read their email or hadn't got access to their student account yet (so couldn't read their email). And then in the second session, I didn't bother putting redirection notices up, but some students turned up late or missed the session and were cross, because they'd been ill at the first session and were too disorganised (or dozy?) to take notice of the email telling them of the room change.

Grrr. It's irritating when all you're trying to do is to teach students well, and yet little incorrect administrative details end up making you run around in circles doing extra stuff you shouldn't have to do, and some students end up missing out on some of the teaching.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a first year undergraduate I was probably guilty of complaining to people about things that weren't their fault. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that 'the left hand knew what the right hand was doing', i.e. the academic part of the university could somehow influence room bookings or IT services.

It wasn't until later in my undergraduate life that I learned said services are basically not accountable to anyone, least of all teaching staff.

 
At 12:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again!

I would really like to interview you as part of some ongoing research on why people blog about their work.

I have done some preliminary research on work blogging and it can be viewed from my own blog

Work-related blogs and news or http://workblogging.blogspot.com

A paper I wrote on work blogs can be found here - http://www.esnips.com/doc/efbc63bc-0810-4124-a83d-a82a4a6d6da3/J_Richards_paper_112 (this paper is being reviewed for an academic journal).

The interview time will vary, but I would expect it to run from 30 to 60 minutes.

They would be conducted by telephone at my expense and at a time that would suit you.

The interview will be more like structured discussion and I can let you know in advance what the questions will involve - please let me know and I can email them to you.

Information from the interview will not be passed on to any third party and information used in a research paper will be anonymised and subject to your approval if the matter is open to interpretation or could identify you in some way.

Please let me know if you would help me out.

You can either email me back or ring me at work on 0131 451 3043.

Thanks.

James

Work profile: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/Staff_Profiles/JamesRichards.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home