March 07, 2005

The Answer Game

One of my students learning programming is very persistent at asking questions. This is developing into a well-honed game where the student tries to get me to answer the question, and I try to get the student to go and look in the place where the answer to that specific question exists, rather than telling the student the answer. The student wants the answer; I want the student to get used to looking information up in suitable (easily-accessible) places. Besides which, a verbal delivery of these sorts of answers is going to be a lot less successful when precise syntax is involved, so I'm not being mean to the student by directing him to the answer, I'm actually being maximally helpful.

Today's game, when starting a practical session, took just three rounds:

Student:
"How can I convert an integer to a string?"
Lecturer:
"There's an exercise in this practical worksheet which addresses precisely that."
(five minutes later)
Student:
"How can I convert an integer to a string?"
Lecturer:
"See Exercise 4."
Student:
"But- "
Lecturer (pointing directly to the precise paragraph in Exercise 4 that tells how to convert an integer to a string):
"Read!!!"

Student smiles and starts to read. Acknowledgement of defeat; game over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home