April 27, 2005

Today's essay: discuss the meaning of the word "no".

*knock* *knock*
Despite having an imminent lecture to prepare for, I answered the door because I thought it might have been someone who was going to bring something I needed for the lecture and I thought there might be some kind of last-minute communication needed. But no, it's a student, specifically it's Persistent Diligent Student (PDS), who wants to see me NOW. Never mind that I've already answered email from PDS earlier that day asking for when I'd be free for an appointment, no that's not enough, my door has to be knocked on instead of checking whether there are any replies to the email.

I'm sorry, I'm not available right now.
I have some questions -
I have already answered your email telling you when I would be available.
I am not available right now.
- but I have some -
I SAID, I'm not available right now.
I have a lecture right away, I've got to get changed, I do NOT have time to see you right now.
Just five minutes?
I said NO!
But
No!
*slam*

I give the lecture. I return to my office in order to prepare for another lecture that will follow shortly. Happy Smiley Student is there lurking outside my door:

Ah! Lossy! The very person. You'll help me, won't you?
I'm sorry, I'm not available right now.
Can you just -
No.
Please
No, I'm sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy.
Please
No.
just
No.
No.
look at
No.
No No No.
this
No.
No No No No NO!
*slam*

ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
(auricular steam, you understand)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home